The Martial Art Brazilian Jiu Jitsu has been around for more than 50 years. Since it
bloomed in popularity during the early 1990’s, more and more people wanted to
learn it and the best place to that is in a gym. And Before you even sign up for
class, here are a few key rules you must and should know when you enter the Dojo.
Dojo Rules Port St Lucie
1. What will you be wearing? You must wear proper attire before you step on the
mat. This usually consists of the Gi. If you haven’t purchased one yet, you can
enter just wearing a plain T-shirt and sweat pants or shorts. Just get one as soon as
2. The dojo if it has air conditioning, it still going to get hot during the class so
make sure to pack a towel to wipe yourself and have with you a water bottle to
3. The instructor must always be addressed as “Sensei.” In English, this title
translates to mean “the one who has gone before.” Outside the dojo, you can go
ahead and take out labels and just call each other on a first name basis. When it
comes to the other students who are senior, it is okay to call them Sir or Ma’am.
4. Apart from properly addressing those higher than you, the act of bowing must be
done once you have entered the dojo, also before a fight and when you leave the
dojo after class is done. The proper way of bowing is to bend forward with your
feet together and with both hands on the front of the thighs. When the bow is done
in front of someone, always keep eye contact.
5. Everyone will get their chance to spar in the dojo and when it is not your turn, a
smart thing to do is pay close attention to what the rest are doing. You can even
take notes if you like so you can review them when you get home.
6. There are seating plan in the Dojo. Which goes those who wear the brown belts
sit on the left of the instructor while those wearing blue and green on the right. If
you are just staring out, you should have a white belt and there for will be seated in
front of the instructor. When signaled, everyone bows in unison to the instructor
and he will do the same.
7. The correct way of sitting during Brazilian Jiu Jitsu class is on your knees with
your butt resting on your feet or cross-legged. Any other positions are considered
to be impolite so never make the mistake of doing that.
8. If at anytime you need to use the bathroom or leave class early, inform the
instructor first that why he or she knows where you are.
9. During a match, the only way to secure a win in the match is to make your
opponent tap. When this occurs, you must let them go in the same manner that they
will also show the same courtesy to you.
10. Classes start on time, so always be ready by the time it begins. If for any reason
are going to be late, call in advance and let your instructor know.
Brazilian Jiu Jitsu rules are practiced so that no one gets seriously hurt. If aren’t
sure what to do, follow what the rest are doing or ask questions.
Call now for a 30 Days FREE Trial 772-626-6500